PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't schools 'screen' self sponsored cadets?
Old 11th Mar 2001, 21:58
Busta Level

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

WWW,

OK. Fair points made. However, just a couple of questions.

How many people have BAE actually turned away due to the results of the tests? I would suggest that it is not that many (business models don't work well with turning away customers with ready cash)! Although business is good at the moment, I'm sure that the tests would suddenly become much less 'important' if things got tough? (or am I just being cynical?!)

<<Psychometric and Aptitude Testing have strong correlations to success in flying training. Thats why organisations spend so much on them year in year out (think BA and RAF).>>

Yes - but think how many people fail in both BA and the RAF even AFTER the aptitude tests. I'm not sure that there has been any comparative study to show that the aptitude tests result in a lower percentage of failures than using any other pseudo-random selection procedure. After all - the aptitude tests in both cases are simply a means of reducing the huge numbers involved. The real decisions are made later by <<2 people on the other side of a desk deciding whether they like you or not and then looking at what GCSE's you got in school>> are they not?

I agree that there can be a great deal of heartache involved in 'dropping off' a course, but it is a risk we all take. What I am trying to get across is that too many people are looking for a 'blame' culture here. They want someone to give them absolute assurances of success. As you and I both know, these assurances will often cause more trouble than good...

If we all worried about taking the plunge to go training we'd have no aircraft in the skies today (except for BA and the RAF of course )

Cheers!

Busta

[This message has been edited by Busta Level (edited 11 March 2001).]