PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Blue crash was caused by Captain
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 23:36
Yankee Whisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRM and its failures

Quote: Sleeper
I find it strange that an F/O with his reported 'background' would be so 'intimidated' as to allow him to be killed.
Maybe that's just it. Coming from the airforce, he was indoctrinated with rank, especially in that region of the world. So when flying as a F/O, his captain outranked him and he obviously was not used to go against higher rank even though he had been a squadron leader.

In these countries the boss is always right

End quote

Experience in my Air Force was that, in a squadron environment, it was not unusual to have a Sqn Ldr fly as number two in a pair with a Sergeant Major as leader. This is obviously needed when Sqn Ldrs need upgrading to squadron standards. Rank has only relative importance in these type of situations and one always accepts the authority bestowed on the most experienced pilot. That is to say that stripes are ignored when debriefing and hard facts are communicated concisely and clearly. It never was the intent to use rank to override a decision by the lower ranked pilot UNLESS it concerned excessive risk taking by the latter, in which case the number two had the option to say so on the blower or "pull out".
I think this accident has more to do with typical cultural class differences prevalent in that part of the world as it was the case with the KLM captain at Tenerife who also behaved like the proverbial "I am superior man" !
Is this not the reason why UAL (I believe) initiated the CRM system and this found follow up by the medical profession in operating rooms susequently.The knowledge a CVR is recording the conversation helps to "keep it kosher".