PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 22:44
RealFish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jabird - thanks for your comments.

I mentioned the BA flights as I have been on both services (the GND flight out and back just before Xmas). At BKK we were on the ground for a little over an hour - a swift 45 mins at BGI) in both cases it was enough time to: deplane passengers for those airports; do some cleaning; undertake a security check on the rest of us and our hand luggage; then take on new passengers and crew for the final destination.

You're right! I suppose the issue is the minimum connection time vs a stop, but if you can be up and away within 90 mins - there could be marketing advantages for both EK and BHX in launching 'direct' Asian services (albeit via DXB).

Does it not make sense operationally? Does an airline version of a 'cross city' service not 'sweat the assets' and keeps aircraft in the air for longer? Just a thought.

That said there are bound to be some regulatory impediments / CAA / governmental rules that wouldn't allow a foreign carrier to originate 'direct' flights from and on to countries outside their domicile?

RF