PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened to the "impossible turns" thread?
Old 17th Jan 2012, 22:40
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All levels of expertise welcome in this discussion? OK, here's my thoughts on turning back after engine failure; which I think you are discussing under the title of "the impossible turn".

Rather important to keep up your speed in a low level turn in a tight situation, for all kinds of reasons; probably turbulence near the ground, wind gradient, are problems that are solved by a reasonable increase in speed over normal stalling speed. We practice "engine failure after takeoff" all the time in gliding, only it's called a cable break, or winch launch failure. Half way up the launch comes the "o ****" moment, when at a terrific angle relative to the ground, suddenly the PULL that has lofted your aircraft at a happy flying speed into the relative airflow, QUITS! and you are left hanging there, nose very high indeed!

The routine that follows: LOWER THE NOSE TO THE RECOVERY ATTITUDE. This is rather lower than the normal flying attitude. WAIT for the ASI to INDICATE correct speed to fly a circuit. IF YOU CAN SAFELY LAND AHEAD, LAND AHEAD. If not, turn AWAY FROM WIND, and when you have completed the turn,( at a safe speed but not throwing height away by excessive speed) you will be presented with a selection of IN TO WIND approaches. This can all happen in about 30 seconds, and when you are well experienced with launch failure, 30 seconds feels like all the time in the world.

The lifesaving part of this routine is establishing the PRIMACY of the decision to LAND AHEAD. Always the first choice. I don't want to go into the unhappy history of what happens if that first choice, a safe landing ahead, is ignored for reasons of convenience or a desire to return to base. It really doesn't get practiced properly, in power flying.

I'm sorry, I don't understand anything at all about tweaking lift vectors, constant vertical speed or load factors. But I have had plenty of practice in launch failure, stall recovery, safe low turns, and always having a plan B.