PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 20:59
jabird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realfish,

Errr...I'm talking about multi sector/segment flights, not connecting flights. I.E. where there is 1 stop en route (at the DXB hub) but no change of aircraft needed.

e.g. BA9 LHR to SYD (via 1 stop at BKK); the former BHX to ATQ (via VIE); BA2153 LGW to GND (via 1 stop at BGI)
BA do this with aircraft BASED at LHR & LGW. BA would not, for example, operate JFK - LHR - DXB as a through route, I am not aware of any airline doing that by going through their hub and then on somewhere else as part of the same continuation. It makes no sense operationally. I have seen some flights to the USA labelled as such, they seem to take the same flight number through - e.g. iirc LHR - LAx - HNL with UA, but I doubt the same aircraft.

The BA flight you quote to GND makes a very brief stop in BGI, same as LGW-ANU-SKB. That's a 20 minute hop, pretty sure it doesn't even take on fuel in SKB, done because these Caribbean routes wouldn't be viable if operated ptp, and BA don't have 767s @LGW. Totally different to the Kangaroo route, which needs a tech stop anyway, and the aircraft is cleaned, people often assigned different seats etc - so there isn't much difference in having a connecting flight. Granted, if sector 1 is delayed, you will probably miss sector 2, but you can also have fast connections, where you are off on sector 2 before you would otherwise be cleaned and refuelled.

Nigel,

Surely these are just figures from the heaviest of heavies. The Dreamliner must be able to reach further - and when you say China, are we talking PEK & PVG?