PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 17th Jan 2012, 18:54
jamesinnewcastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rvusa

I can't tell you if QNH was used in 1941(in fact I'll have to look QNH up). I assume that it would have been so easy to put a sensitive altimeter into a control tower that QFE would have been used all the time from the very first control tower - or at least been available on request.

This would be part of the procedure I am after of course - it's very specific to ask about May 1941 but you just never know!! I wonder sometimes if there are any control tower personnel out there.

Trimtab

I need to do some trigonometry I guess, that should reveal if a 3 degree flight path were safe.

Hipper

It would be good to know what part of the landing that he would normally put down his flaps, as you can see they don't appear to be down - but should they be? Was he still just circling?

Daf Hucker

The night fighter aspect does always come up - this is perhaps the point to add the information from the other official sources.

AM1180

"Hit trees when circling to make approach continued for 200yds and crashed on its back. Captain called control on R/T and had nothing unusual to report. E of J (co) - appearing to be clear case of pilot approaching F.P. too low (oc.)"

Anyone know what the initials E of J mean? Also 'co' could be officer commanding and 'oc' could be officer commanding but the fact that both are used. Note that the underlined text was written by a different person from the first part of the text.

Form 541

"..........believed attacked by e/a............"

Form 540

"...... The cause of the accident is unknown......."