PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRS equipped plane for training
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 18:28
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Oh we need more pilots, and for the record roughly 15 years ago I wrote the UK's first regulations for fitting BRS, which are still in use. So I am not anti-BRS.

I am anti tenuous arguments. If somebody wants to fit a BRS, and it makes them happy, best of luck - and I'm glad to participate in getting it right. I have fitted and mandated BRS - for flight test programmes, and been greatly comforted by that handle when flying the first spin in a new aeroplane type.

I am however of the opinion that efforts on pilot training, in cockpit ergonomics, and efforts in achieving stall and spin resistance in an aeroplane design, will reap far greater rewards than fitting a BRS for most pilots in most aeroplanes.

What brings new pilots in is another question - I suspect it's low cost pleasant aeroplanes under 10 years old (as an alternative to high cost tatty elderly spamcans) in the first instance. If we can bring a bit more of the 1920s-1950s glamour back into aviation, that'll probably help too. A specific safety feature on a quarter million pound aeroplane probably won't.

G