PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 17th Jan 2012, 18:08
jamesinnewcastle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

This is going to be a Marathon Post as I've not been able to get back on here recently and you've all left so many posts - thanks!

So I will break it into sections and post as the evening goes on.

Cazatou

I have tried the Air Historical Branch, is that what you meant? I have obtained the 765c form data from them but they don't seem like an 'open' source of information. I get the feeling that they bounce you to TNA or the RAF Museum, certainly they stick very closely to the Data Protection Act. However this is a good point to relay the details of the crash as recorded in the 765c.

"The aircraft fouled the trees about 30 feet high with one wing down, continued for 200 odd yards and crashed on its back against a tree, no evidence is available regarding the behaviour of the engines, and the condition of the wreckage indicates aircraft had been trimmed with undercarriage down for landing at base which was 3 miles from the crash"

The line 'aircraft had been trimmed' intrigues me - I know of the trim tabs and what they do (but I am no pilot don't forget) but how would people studying the crash know that the Pilot was planning to do by looking at the position of the trim tabs?

Shackman

The above is part answer to your question I think. I'll up load a photo later and you will see that the only way the aircraft could have hit trees and continued for 200 yds is if he was traveling along a straight path to the runway across a field (that you will see later). All other possible directions to the final crash site are deep with trees and would have stopped the aircraft much sooner.

When I get the photos on here you will also see that the aircraft is in very large pieces. Both these items suggest that he was travelling at a shallow angle directly towards the runway when he hit trees.