PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Fly (Merged Feb '12)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 16:23
magnificent_man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect, I believe it is the older generation that have seriosuly let down the young aspiring cadets of today. The constant degredation of T&Cs in the industry and the ridiculous training schools and TRTOs that have been set up to exploit the young.

I know several very capable people who have payed for type ratings and some even line training. Most found work through doing the line training. None of them agreed with it beforehand, none of them saw it as fair to others who couldn't afford it, none of them felt great about it. These where all good guys - not spoilt little rich kids being bought a job at all. All of them tried incredibly hard to find any work they could (by that I mean way way above and beyond what anyone would do for any other job) and eventually came to the conclusion that they had no other option. All of them would have bitten off the arm of a turboprop operator had they been offered a job, they certainly weren't desperate for jet time straight away. In fact they regretted skipping the fun and real flying of a turboprop operation. I stress again they where all very capable nice guys. It would be easier to say they where demons but it was simply not the case.

The critics of P2F are absolutely right in every point they make - it is horrendous. An absolute dispicable travesty. Perhaps though some of the critics are looking at it through the eyes of someone already with a job and they have no idea just how hard it is for those starting off in this industry.
- There are NO turboprop jobs essentially.(Or the chances of getting one are tiny)
- Several people I know have done instructors ratings (Only one has been employed, a year after doing the rating, he can expect around 300hours a year flying)
- Everyone keeps going on about instructors ratings - Surely this is only suitable for people who have an apptitude to teach? The best instructors I have met love instructing and it is not simply a stepping stone to an airliner.
- Having spent between £40k and £80k on your training the chances of getting a job are pretty much non-existant. It's a simple fact. Do you dive in deeper and get a job, or do you give up? That is the choice these guys are faced with and I believe they had no choice but to dive deeper.

P2F is a travesty - however its not the guys doing it who should be criticised, it is the companies offering initial training, the trto's, and the airlines for not ever focusing on the great potential of some of these young, very capable guys who would be an asset to any company.

You expect these young guys to stop their career before it has even started just because you have a 'moral' objection? Get real. What can they do about their situation? Sit on their backsides or go and do something about it? Its not their responsibility - it is the older generation who have not stood up for their profession and have not nurtured and looked after the young hopefulls you see today. And by the way - the first person who payed for his type rating has a lot to answer for!