PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed Rule 5 changes: Includes replies from the CAA
Old 23rd Nov 2002, 22:40
MBJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I think its a good idea to do a re-write in English! But...

The crucial thing is that we maintain the present UK 500ft rule, which is given as Option 3 of the consultative document - i.e 500ft away from ..etc etc. Losing this would be a disaster for filming and many other aspects of our work and training.

I personally believe we should try to get 1000ft over congested areas (which is on offer as an ICAO standard) because it is covered by the fact that you must be able to land clear of structures etc and not cause damage - in other words the deserted football pitch may be defined as a "congested area" but it should be acceptable as an emergency LS if the donk quits.

The Lea Valley used not to be a congested area (Yes, I am that old!) and it was customary to fly down it to the river at 1000ft or less if weather so demanded. The proposed changes in the ruling doesn't really affect the awkwardness of deeming it to be open space when clearly its not any more.

Inserting a new heliroute North-South through (over) the dome would clear that issue.