PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I be a good flight instructor?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 12:13
WestWind1950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with a lot of the above. If you are only doing instructing as a means to an end, then you will most likely not be a good one. I experienced a couple of those types of instructors....they didn't care about their students and often left the school, not caring if there student ever passed any exams, let alone even soloed!

On the other hand, you just may find out that it can be challenging, fun, and you learn a LOT more about flying when you instruct! You must realise that you cannot get rich in instructing, but you do collect flight time on someone elses pocket. You will experience good students and bad students and if you are a caring person (and as a nurse I guess you are) then CARE about your students!

Not all instructors do both practical flying and ground school. I knew one instructor who was an excellent teacher in a plane, but he just could not talk in a class room! So it is possible to not have to teach ground school, or at least subjects that you are good in (like human factors?).

Whatever you decide.... good luck with it!