PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't schools 'screen' self sponsored cadets?
Old 11th Mar 2001, 03:07
Speedbird 2946

Talking

Fly_777,

I appreciate your points and agree with you, although I seem to have been under the incorrect impression that BAe at Jerez tested their candidates before allowing them to commence the course.

I wouldn't regard such a scheme as 'screening' though as often people get better at aptitude tests and I have seen people fail one set of aptitude tests only to pass another set with flying colours. I have read on these pages that after bmi british midland testing at Oxford, rejected candidates received one of two letters: saying that they had been unsuccessful but either did, or did not, have the aptitude required to self sponsor.

It may well benefit some candidates to have, say, the GAPAN tests included as a prerequisite to commencement of a course, but would wannabes be willing to fork out yet more money to do this?

Perhaps an idea would be for the schools who run airline aptitude tests to just extend the process by a few days, and at nominal cost, allow other potential self-sponsored wannabes to sit the same battery of tests.

Any self-sponsors out there have any thoughts on this? It is an interesting topic... II personally feel that I would sit some tests before shelling out my hard earned money on a course, but what do others think?

And as a random thought that comes to mind, where does BAe test its potential Airtours crews? It must be somewhere in Britain.. no?!

Safe flying,

SB