PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA spends millions chasing Milton Jones aviation business
Old 17th Jan 2012, 08:24
Slippery_Pete

Received 374 Likes on 70 Posts
Hi Jaba.

I will answer a few of your points, but bear in mind we are on the same team - we both have concerns with CASA.

Yes you are correct in that when I choose to commit aviation I do not set out to be willfully breaking rules or operating dangerously. I do not think anybody does that.
I disagree. I do agree however that the majority of infractions against the law are probably due to lack of education, or lack of knowledge, or lack of support.... and that CASA are probably partially to blame for this. But towing someone on waterskis using a helicopter - give me a break! That's simply a complete, utter and INTENTIONAL break of the law.

Nobody here is encouraging this sort of behaviour at all. Don't believe this is true at all.
I think this comment from jas24zzk IS encouraging this sort of behaviour.

If that trend has continued, then I hope big Milt does em bareback!....slowly
As for this:

If that culture existed, I doubt this topic would exist today.
CASA could and SHOULD spend a lot more resources on working with industry and encouraging a collaborative approach to air safety.

The fact remains, however, that there will always remain a small minority who decide they are above the law and place the lives of Australians at risk.

Jaba, you need to pick your battles. There are probably a few thousand examples where you can easily and rightfully stick the boot into CASA about their fundamental issues and regulation vs. safety outcomes philosophy. Unfortunately, this scenario is not the right one.

You said T28D summed it up best, but I think peterc005 is on the money.

At the end of the day the operator is a fatal accident waiting to happen.

From what I saw he is so far outside the bounds of not only the law, but common sense, that any CASA prosecution is doing him and any potential passengers a favour and will probably save lives.