PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why don't schools 'screen' self sponsored cadets?
Old 11th Mar 2001, 02:52
Fly_777

Question Why don't schools 'screen' self sponsored cadets?

In terms of people applying for the long courses at UK Flying Colleges, I really think that they must 'raise the standard' of entry for their self sponsored, self selected cadets.

OK, business is business, but I think it is totally irresponsible of the flying scools in the way in which they allow 'applicants' onto their courses with open arms, without any knowledge of a candidates academic ability, personality make-up, and all other factors that would go towards assessing whether someone will go on to pass the course, and more importantly, become a competent commercial pilot.

I believe that ALL ab-inito cadets must under go the same screening as sponsored cadets before being allowed on a course. Even if these results just provide an honest assessment for the candidates aptitude for the course so that he/she can form his own judegment as to whether he/she should go ahead, at least this would be better than some marketing 'pleb' saying, 'sure, give me £60K and everything will be just fine!'

All too often I have seen people joining colleges, and after paying vast sums, realise the course isnt as easy as marketing make it out to be! A few weeks later they are applying for refunds, only to get back £16K out of the £60K!

On a CAA course, a struggling student could get through his exams 'learning' all the practice papers. Under JAR, this just isnt possible. Many regard the training course as 'the' test. In my opinion, a candidate should have been tested before allowed on the course, so that the course and exams are nothing more than a formality.

I dont think just raising the academic entry requirements (e.g. to degree level) would be fair. Many ab-initios choose to complete a flying course instead of uni. I also know a couple of highly successful captains who never had a qualification to their name before starting their flying course.

I recently saw an advert from one UK flying school for assessment days, where aptitude tests and interviews, etc. can be conducted for self sponsored cadets (for around £250).

Anyone have any thoughs on all this?