PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - That Dam Film Again
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 08:01
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
When we did our JP night flying, it was 1974 and the nation was still facing frequent blackouts due to the legacy of the 'Three Day Week'. Everything would be turned off except the aerodrome lights on some nights - even the Cheerio Cafe had to shut. The solo navex across East Anglia was very interesting - just a few aerodrome pundits and the lights of the aircraft ahead. Probably as close to wartime black out as anyone could ever experience!

(500N / HTB, in the days when I first joined, future RAF pilots could apply for an RAF Scholarship before going to RAFC Cranwell. I did, so I had about 40 hrs on puddlejumpers before arriving at Bull$hit Towers in Sep 68. Then, on about Day 2, we were told that a new scheme had just come in and that we could apply to go to University. Several folk did so immediately; the rest of us did a year of joy in the SBL / JM blocks with lots of marching around in horsehair blue before going to University. The UAS was such fun that I had to repeat a year of my course (although there were also personal reasons) and I didn't graduate until 1973... Then Officer Training and JPs at RAFC Cranwell before flying my first fast jet, the Gnat, in 1975.)