PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2012, 04:13
BigBusDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, here comes the civilian with an opinion and questions. I now some of you Steely-Eyed-Missile-Men don't like that sort of thing on here, but it's still a public forum and perhaps a few more civilians with some level of interest in your chosen profession might not be a bad thing, so here goes:

What would be the downside of this scenario?

1. The MOD/BAES/Etc keep their stake in the F-35, but with a reduced number of F-35C (say 60-80) to enter service from 2022-24ish when the type is hopefully getting the bugs ironed out and the GR.4 is sorely needing replacement in the strike role. Eventually the F-35C may still equip the carrier(s), but until the 2018-2025+ timeframe that need is met by:

2. A lease of a small number (12-18?) of F-18F immediately...say within 6-12 months. This squadron-sized force trains with the USN, to include CV ops. If political needs dictate then the RAF/RN Hornet Sqn is UK based with exchange postings ongoing. As the RN Carrier(s) come closer to becoming operational, deliveries of a 48-60+ airframe order begin, ideally with Growlers as part of the package. Could this purchase along with the deferred costs of F-35 allow for cuts elsewhere to be moderated?

3. Naval variants of Taranis and/or its offspring begin to equip the carriers for "Day One" operations in the 2020-23 timeframe to supplement the F-18E/F/G. Depending on how the stealth vs sensor competition works out this may even end up negating the need for the F-35C on the carriers in the longer term, leaving the eventual F-35C purchase to fill the RAF manned strike role, and possibly with a 2-seat variant, serve as a 'mothership' for unmanned platforms in the longer term as evolved Typhoons start showing their age.

I'm not a Walt or a Wannabee, just a guy who wanted to go the military route but couldn't because of eyesight. S o instead I went the civilian way and have managed to accumulate 7,000ish hours in largish flying things, but always kept an interest in military aviation and its role in global affairs. Honest answers appreciated...