PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA spends millions chasing Milton Jones aviation business
Old 17th Jan 2012, 01:14
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete, you can look at it that way, but in doing so all you achieve is more of the same.

The definition of STUPIDITY is to keep doing what you are doing while expecting a different result.

Now lets look at these few valid points you raised

But blaming CASA for making Jones the operator he has become is just BS. Whenever we commit aviation, we all have a choice to make between operating legally and illegally. You can't use CASA's problems as justification for willful violation of the law.
Yes you are correct in that when I choose to commit aviation I do not set out to be willfully breaking rules or operating dangerously. I do not think anybody does that. And CASA's cultural problems do not forcre someone to do that either. However, the way they have become, has two side effects, one is they are too damned busy with a "prosecute safety into existance" to the point where for every hour spent on trying to fix one problem, they could be out preventing 10 of the same from beginning. The other is They are not spending quality time working with Industry....they make them hide instead for fear of prosecution.

Encouraging this sort of behaviour and avoiding the consequences just because of a grudge against the regulator stinks of immaturity.
Nobody here is encouraging this sort of behaviour at all. Don't believe this is true at all.

I encourage that whatever money needs to be spent should be spent to determine whether this guy needs to be prosecuted.
Perhaps so, in my personal opinion he is probably guilty as charged and should have known better. That being said, the fact that we are wasting so much $$ on this tells me the system as it is at present is not working very well at all. I know a system that is vastly different from this works better. Refer all my other posts on the matter in the other threads.

If that culture existed, I doubt this topic would exist today.

T28D said
Griffo, painfully gone, and we suffer for the loss of knowledge that used to transfer when there was no threat of punishment, just the good sense that if something was trending badly the chance of fixing it was in the hands of the experienced to help the less experienced to not stuff up and take other with them.

Now we prosecute to ensure "safety" how that works in practice I am not sure I could envisage. Maybe if we are all in Goal as Not Fit And Proper it all becomes safer.
And believe me we do not often see thigs the same way, but I think he summed things up quite well in that post.