PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 18:02
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reference 'who is getting what'.

As it stands the UK is buying F-35C to fulfill its requirement for JCA which was originally the FCBA. It is fundementally incorrect to say that the RN is getting F-35. A correct statement would be that the plan is to man a Joint force with all skill sets from pilot to engineer provided by both RAF and RN. This is exactly the same as the JFH model. I believe the AOA which is essentially 'the owner' will be 1 Gp RAF. So you could argue that the RN will take deliveries of no JCA.

However as FE@R reduces the possibility and arguably desirability of a single service force comes into play. It is worth reiterating that the JCA is a carrierborne capability. It is possible to argue that the RAF wants to be part of it due to service survivability rather than being able to offer a demonstrable commitment to sea basing by the light blue. There really isn't another model for an air force operating a nation's sea based FW.

So the possible alternatives become 1) The status quo - JCA manned by a Joint force. 2) RAF continue to man the Typhoon force and the entire JCA force. 3) RAF man the Typhoon, RN man JCA. Let's rule out RN manning all UK FW - despite my saline credentials the whole 'let's split the RAF between RN and army' idea has always struck me as being infantile in the extreme.

What becomes the interesting talking point really is the GR4 successor which IIRC has been called FOAS and FCAC over the years. It was always talked of as a system of systems the manned portion of which could still be a F-35. So you could end up with Typhoon, JCA and GR4 successor as two light blue forces and either a joint one or a dark blue one. A potential model might be to ensure that GR4 replacement is exactly the same type as JCA therefore allowing the bulk of UK FW to embark. At this point the debate usually gets a little more emotive.

In summary, whilst there are large issues to be debated here the choice of any given platform to fulfill the JCA requirement is not particularly relevant, but the constitution of the force and the aircraft type selected to replace GR4 is.