PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Integrated vs Modular & where!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 17:12
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the basis of what I've seen of the graduates and their handling abilities (and obviously this on a majority and not everyone) The standard of basic flying skills of CTC students is significantly better with CTC students than OAA ones. This is not a slight on the students themselves but the methodologies of the schools themselves. If I was to go modular, and I would if I was starting over I'd go to CTC and ignore OAA for the modular route, the quality of flying I've seen would suggest that was a wise move.

Integrated will get you a job faster, by a fair margin but nothing interesting, Easyjet/Ryan/Flybe as far as I can ascertain, Easy and Flybe only recruit from Integrated schools (for now). Modular will get you there at your own pace and cheaper, but do not under any circumstances go to the cheapest place. It's the same ticket but when you come to a sim assessment you will find the skills you learned and how you learned them come fully into their own.
Basic handling skills are going to be used for your whole career, make sure you get them.
If you want to do something more interesting it wont make a difference which route you take, it will be a while before you get a job so take your time that said the price of flying is only going up and fast so earlier might be better!

So in short, if you want only to fly airlines and those are Flybe/Easy/BA then go integrated (budget for an extra 30-40k on top of the course fees for your type rating.)

For anything else, go modular but it will take you longer to get into a job of any kind, particularly the ones mentioned above.

If you do go modular
PPL - Do it near to you somewhere good with an instructor that has perhaps moved on from an operational job and is going it for fun, otherwise just pick someone who appears to be interested in how you progress.
Hour building, have fun, go places - do not just burn holes in the sky actually travel.
Exams, Bristol - they will be ahead of the curve with the new exams
CPL + MEP IR = do these at the same school, Airways Flight Training is where I went and they were absolutely the best flying instructors I have flown with.
MCC, I'd do it on a jet sim, you need experience on a high performance sim when you come to do your sim check, it'll be appreciated. I did mine at OAA, the course was very good but overpriced, I don't feel it was great value but nonetheless very good.
JOC, up to you but I don't think it's money wasted.

Small tip, big schools are just as likely to go bust as little ones, use sense when paying, if you pay up front a credit card is worth it even if you get charged 2% so long as the charge doesn't offset the discount too much it's safe.