PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More delays for the F-35
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 16:45
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some folks are suggesting the F-35C idea be perhaps scrapped or delayed and the Royal Navy order the tried and tested F-18 to tide it over until this new stealth aircraft is fully operational. My question and please note it is a question is:

If we were to purchase the F-18 then how would this effect the RAF who I believe were also in line to take deliver of the F-35? I can understand the significant savings that may be had if both services were operating the one type of multi role aircraft but if the Royal Navy ditched the idea of purchasing the 35, then would the whole order fall through and would the RAF be happy to take delivery of F-18 aircraft in lieu of their current fighters??

If the answer is no then would the F-18 flown by the Navy go the same way as the SHAR?

Hopefully folks can see where I am coming from when I mention this last aircraft and I am thinking of the numbers involved in the training of pilots, keeping them current in all types of skills that are required to make them the front line professional warriors that we require. A combined services school for the F-35 or two completely seperate set-ups for two completely different types of aircraft.. F-18 plus Typhoon?

Apologies if this is gobble de gook (I blame the medication)