PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - That Dam Film Again
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 16:16
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the dam busters on DVD and watched it only recently. Although I have mixed feelings on the real raid in terms of loss of civilian life v very little damage to the enemy* I am always amazed at how much damage the Lancasters created during the raid.....................As the aircraft are rarely actually carrying the special bombs on the way to the target in the film! The aircraft belly shape is correct, which makes it even more noticeable that the bombs are not in place!

*I cannot appreciate how folks in the UK saw this at the time, and was not alive during WW2, so like all wars/conflicts it is very hard to see the prevailing attitude of the period at a later date. In a similar vain I was walking through the local park today and noticed the low wall which was still missing its railings that were taken taken in WW2.
Morale aside, I couldn't help thinking that the gas for the cutting equipment lost in this operation was just so much more important than the IRON railings that were taken, only to end up as so much scrap metal.