PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Questions about Private Flying
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 15:08
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sean88 - I am glad.

Maybe it would be helpful to give you an idea of the typical progress of a keen PPL.

Obviously you gain a PPL. In the first few months you do as many short flights as possible - perhaps typically between an hour or two in each direction and going to different places. During this period you may gradually take on weather that is a little more challenging, more complicated routes and experience a range of approaches and landings. You are learning all the time. You are learning that the weather can change and is not always as forecast. You may start to learn that what seemed like good VFR conditions require you to weave, dodge and make it up as you go, either to get to your destination, divert or get home.

Undoubtedly you will "take on" some approaches that appear more challenging - the cross wind is a bit stronger than you expected, the runway a little shorter than you have seen before, the controller a lit more "irritating" - you get the idea, all the time you are widening your experience.

With luck you will join a good group or make some friends at your club; you will do some flights with more expereinced pilots and probably learn more from then that you might imagine about flying in the real "world". Depending where you are a trip to France will beckon maybe after a month or two but hopefully at least within the first six months. Typically it will be L2K and why not - it is a superb destination. That first flight across the channel will be a thrill - yes the engine will know it is over water and will run rough - and yes the haze over the sea may be unnerving and you may be glad of your limited instrument training.

With luck you have got the bug - you will have a much better idea what you are comfortable with, you will have developed some of the skill sets to deal with all the little things that can get thrown at you on longer flights and you will be making sound decisions.

You will remember me saying that the vast majority of PPLs have given up by now or will in the next few years, having never left the local "cabbage patch" and never felt really comfortable taking on longer trips.

Flying isnt complicated and I hope I am not making it seem complicated but like anything in life there are plenty of experiences that will be new. In one major respect it is different however - it is a very unforgiving enviroment. Its obvious I know but you cant stop, things will continue to happen whether you like it or not and you must whatever else stay ahead of the game. Some cope well and learn quickly for others it takes a bit longer. You will scare yourself if you are serious about your flying at some point, and you will realise how unforgiving it can be. You will also realise that you literally have your passengers life in your hands, much more so that might ever seem the case driving a car - I dont entirely know why, but that is the way it is.

Eventually if you stick at it you can go pretty much go any where you like, when you like and most of the time it is a great deal more relaxing than drving a car. It is always a lot of fun, and you will never be bored.

I hope that helps?