PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 14:32
Padhist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Commision

Commission

The subject of Commission has become a sore point with me, mainly since I have retired from the Forces. Of course when I got my wings I was so thrilled with that achievement the question of an associated commission did not concern me. Nor did it until I was married. One has to remember that the majority of aircrew in the RAF were non-commissioned. However, when one experiences the difference in treatment for the wives and families between the ranks, particularly overseas, it becomes very evident that a commission is all important.

The first opportunity I had to obtain a commission was in the states when I got my wings. But it was perfectly obvious that with my educational background this was impossible and the thought never really came into my head. As I have said I was happy with what I had. Nevertheless it must be noted that ALL of the American trainees were commissioned automatically and there were many of those who were behind many of us in the results tables. I am quite sure that if it were possible to carry out a survey of the results of the service histories of that entire course, there would be little difference between those who were commissioned and those who were not and in many instances I am equally sure some of those not commissioned will have gained greater distinction.

My next opportunity was in the Fleet Air Arm when, at the end of our training and just before embarking for the Far East War, we were considered once again, Now, I had done particularly well on this course as had Cliff and Fin and we had had nod's and winks from our Squadron Commander that all was well. However, I was not selected and this was explained to me to be the result of an error in identification, another chap had wrongly been selected in my place, all would be put right when we sailed. But we never did.

My first Officer Cadet Training Unit (OCTU) this took place soon after re-entering the RAF in Feb 1949. Once again it is difficult to determine what went wrong. But I flunked it on this vague business of Officer Qualities. I am quite sure there were no differences in my qualities then than now, but the staff of the OCTU’s was all powerful so that was that. This attitude was soon to change because about this time there was a very famous war time bomber pilot who had wished to remain a Master Pilot but allowed himself to be persuaded by the Air Officer Commanding to go for a commission. He failed it. When the A.O.C. later learned of this result he blew his top and demanded to know just who was responsible for determining who were to be commissioned. It certainly was not the staff of the OCTU. They were there to carry out a course of instruction. The decision to commission was his, on the advice of his local Commanders. This changed the whole attitude of the OCTU’S

At last RAF MILLOM in Cumberland. That was the place where I had been stationed for final selection into the Fleet Air Arm!! What a dump! Cold and miserable. Three months of winter purgatory dressed up like soldiers, running all over the countryside, charging sacks of straw with fixed bayonets yelling like Indians just to please a band of idiot RAF Regiment Officers and NCOs. I recall one occasion when a Regiment Flt.Sgt. had to give us a lecture on the use of a .38 Pistol but for some strange reason he had no pistol, so a group of us stood around in a circle out in the open, freezing, whilst he demonstrated his 'let's pretend gun' Happily no one got shot!!!

During this course I met ‘Davy’ He also had rejoined but he had lost a leg in a Mosquito prang in his previous service. He told me that he had been bored stiff with Civvy Street and having seen an advertisement for RAF Pilots he thought he would pull his wife's leg a bit. So returning from work he told her that he had rejoined the RAF as a pilot, thinking she would 'Blow her top'. But no, she said "Great I didn't think they would take you back now". Well he then had to go and do it. After the final interview with an AOC, whilst walking to the door the AOC said. "Davy, I still can't see which leg you were worried about" Davy told me he had never had it so good. He now had his full pay as a Pilot, 100% disability allowance and if he wanted a weekend in London all he had to do was request to go to Roehampton to have his tin leg repaired. Rate.1. and fare paid!!
On one occasion one of the very young cadets on the course (we were the old HAIRIES) said to Davy "You're the chap with the bad leg" Davy picked up a broom standing nearby and crashed it into his tin leg twice and said "Bad leg, Bad leg, there's nothing wrong with that" The poor cadet nearly fainted!!

Well at last I made it successfully out of an OCTU and certainly not because I had done any better than any other time. Now I could look forward to a life of elegant poverty. I remember an old instructor mate of mine, Bert Horsfield saying "Paddy, when some of these Officers touch you for the odd ten bob or so because they have no money. Do they really mean they have none? Or is it that they just haven't got it on them at the time" Well?????