PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Service Accredited Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 12:50
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Service Accredited Qualifications

Ladies and Gents,

I would just like to pick the collective PPrune brain on a matter of service accredited qualifications, specifically MBAs, and their perceived utility and value. Whilst my timing is unintentional, I would be fibbing if I didn't admit that tomorrow's redundancy field announcement hasn't had an awful lot of us in the office wondering about life outside and the best way to prepare for it.

A few years ago, I spoke to my then Wg Cdr about doing an MBA. He had done his at Henley, so seemed a reasonable first port of call. His advice at the time was to do it only when you knew you might be able to make use of it rather than spending the cash early and its value diminishing over time.

However, on ICSC, we had a briefing from Stafford Uni about amongst other things an MOD accredited MBA. Off the top of my head, prior experience meant we could get a year knocked off, and if you had your ELCs, it would cost very little. And this is the dilema. I used to think - rightly or wrongly - that this sort of qualification was as much about the institution and networking opportunities as it was the course content. However, having spoken to a couple of mates doing the Stafford MBA and who had the same questions, there appears to be a growing opinion that an MBA is an MBA is an MBA.

Just wondering what the collective opinion is on such a comment? Are MBAs broadly equal, or is it still really worth splashing the cash at a premium institution? With redundancy potentially looming for many, anything that might give an edge in the jobsmarket has to be worth considering, but asking that question to the various universities would only likely ellicit the response they thought you wanted to hear.