PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 09:11
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sav - The Post Script

I called my last submission 'A Cautionary Tale for a reason. The practical jokers upon whom we had visited embarrassment and humiliation would not, of course, take it lying down.

A few weeks after our jolly jape I had to leave my 'house-sitting' spot in Kuala Belait and move to the Sea View Hotel where the Okanagan lot were staying. Suffice it to say that when returning at 2 am after a jolly good party I found my hotel room door had been tampered with - the rascals had poured super-glue in the lock so entry was impossible.

Fortunately the night-porter fetched the owner and he broke down the door and I passed a relatively peaceful night.

The remainder of the tour was passed in a nervous state of anticipation but all in very good spirits. They were a good crowd and good sports. The sad thing was that the chap on the far left of the picture was Acting CP and saw the luncheon with the High Commissioner as his ticket to promotion. Apparently he issued a three line whip to his colleagues and their one day off was to be spent in homage to His Excellency. He took the embarrassment personally and did not speak to me after that. Somehow the joke passed him by. I often wonder if his ambitions were fulfilled.

G.