PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will you say in a post?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 06:46
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
After my recent experience here, when I set out to recount something I'd done that I thought might be interesting to others, and got savaged by a bunch of humourless nanny-knows-besters trying to prove what incredibly superior pilots they were, it's frankly unlikely that I'd say anything at all.

It would be nice if this forum could just be a pleasant place to chit-chat about interesting stuff to do with flying. The OP's posts are among the ones I enjoy the most. I'd like to contribute the same kind of thing myself too, but it's just too painful. I end up getting annoyed and spending the whole day in a bad mood. What's the point? I gave up contributing to Rotorheads ages ago, after a couple of similar savagings. Sadly there are people who just seem to gain a great deal of pleasure out of being patronising and condescending for the sake of it. (The last one, which I didn't have the strength to respond to, suggested that I should really try to look outside the cockpit while performing tricky low-level manouvers. Well, duh).

As for the moral question (where's Isabel Dalhousie when you need her?)... should you enclose every post about performing ten-turn spins, or climbing at one knot below Vy, with bold, red flashing text saying "Don't ever do this yourself"... I don't really see why. It would be inappropriate, of course, to say, "Hey, why don't you go and do this yourself", but there's no need to go too far.

OK, waiting for the flatlanders to come after me... for some reason the worst offenders often seem to be from a country where flying 10' below sea level is a perfectly safe thing to do.