PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will you say in a post?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2012, 01:19
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
What will you say in a post?

Several recent threads have brought to mind, the question: "What will people say in a post?". I have learned that I'm accountable for what I say, and write (even if I am still somewhat anonymous here). I've done a lot of stupid things in airplanes over the years. Some I would not describe, 'cause I'd feel too stupid, others, 'cause I would not want to think that another inexperienced pilot would go and try it as I did. Thus, I find myself writing here "get instruction, and try it under supervision" for some things I will mention. I just hope the instructors of the world know their limits too!

It is a large measure of luck, and a bit of skill, which have resulted in my never bending a plane ('came close last month thought...). I'm hoping to sustain that through to a graceful retirement now. Aside from test flying some new contraption hanging from a plane, I otherwise fly conservatively. I've done the daring stuff, don't need to repeat it!

But I read things posted here, and occasionally think to myself "gawd! I hope the newer pilot reading this don't go and try that" - either at all, or solo. Sure, a lot of what can be read here, can be safely accomplished, but sometimes the hundreds of hours of skill and practice behind pulling it off, aren't immediately apparent to the casual reader.

In my real world, I do have the opportunity to actually take another pilot for a spin (sometimes literally). But, when I choose to, I can play down the ease with which I fly a maneuver (loop, for example) and allow a bit of skygod to seem apparent. Hopefully, the other pilot will experience, but not emulate right away - out of a renewed fear!

When I write, I have no idea what the reader will do with it. I have no idea what their skill or experience is (knowing that the two are not always directly related). I don't know what they will do with what they read.

Do we more experienced posters have an obligation to temper what we write to downplay or completely mute our experience with certain maneuvers? Do we have a further moral obligation to point out that another post contains a potentially troublesome maneuver or technique, when we notice it, if for no other reason than to keep the new pilots safe a little longer?