PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO
Thread: EFATO
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2012, 21:11
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The wind (assuming it is constant) has no effect on the flight dynamics - none!
True, but if there is any wind at all there will normally be a wind gradient and climbing through a wind gradient into wind and descending through a wind gradient downwind are not the same thing. Actually, I do practice turnbacks (because it's fun.......)
and it is a shed load easier with no wind at all....Depends much more on your rate of climb and glide angle than on what rate of turn you use. I can return no wind and land facing take-off direction in a super cub from 400 feet. I don't need to pull to the buffet (don't have a stall warner) ,just a brisk turn, then a genteel sideslip to line up to the landing area and deal with any excess height.

Takes me 600 feet in a DR 400. Gliders are another story again. 300 feet will indeed be enough for a brisk circuit off a wire launch. Aerotow, no, because of the lower rate of climb.

However, I suspect that if I have a real and unexpected engine failure that by the time I have got my arse in gear I probably will end up crashing straight ahead with the aircraft the property of the insurers who have so far made a large profit out of me