PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EFATO
Thread: EFATO
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2012, 18:32
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
You know BPA, I like to think that I can fly, and I'm starting to get the hang of teaching those aspects of flying that I'm qualified to teach.

I think you've described two things there that I have seldom, possibly never, seen briefed. It took about 10 seconds of reading your post to decide that you've just shared something really really valuable that will now be a permanent fixture in my flying and teaching.

Thank you very much.

G
Thanks for the kind words. I would like to add as food for thought that I have found that practicing the transition from power in climb to power off glide is a worthwhile exercise. At altitude in the practice area simple establish a normal full power Vy climb and when the aircraft is stabilized smoothly but quickly reduce the power to idle. My experience has been that most pilots are surprised that it can be initially a bit difficult to make a smooth transition to a stable glide attitude because of the trim change caused by the lack of power and the fact that the relatively large nose down pitching motion is required. It only takes a few minutes to demonstrate and like I said I think it is worth practicing every once in a while.

Another point I alluded to but IMO bears emphasizing is that altitude = options. I see a lot of pilots make very shallow climbs immediately after takeoff. This prolongs the exposure to the low altitude EFATO environment and so for that reason the profile I teach, and always fly myself, is Vy to 1000 feet AGL.