PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 15th Jan 2012, 14:35
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
James,

I've just re-read your first post, and it appears what you are really asking for is HOW the pilot arrives at the airfield and sets up for the approach - which has in turn led to a number of other answers, including mine, as to why the aircraft could have crashed (as in the number of other forums you have posted in). Although I don't know the exact Stirling parameters or checks, those for the Shackleton will have been somewhat similar so I have sort of used those. I am sure there are many others who could put this much better and perhaps disclose Stirling or wartime specifics.

First you need to find your airfield - probably starting your descent well before coasting in so as to get/keep the speed up, nav hopefully giving directions and WT op getting all the relevant information for you. You need to get below the cloud base (somewhere it said approx 4000ft) which would not be too difficult, aiming to level approx 3000ft until you identify your own airfield (were the pundits - a light flashing the morse ident - working at this time? - hopefully someone else can answer that one). The you can do your own R/T. Also you need to think of total blackout and no moon, and the only lights will be runway goosenecks (and not just Oakington, look at a wartime map and see how many other airfields are clustered around Oakington, each with its own circuit active that you REALLY don't want to get into), chance lights and odd searchlight (perhaps). A 'straight in' approach is unlikely as you would have to overfly all those other (Bomber) airfields and their traffic!

Remember you may the only pilot on the aircraft - I know it was designed for two pilot operation but a lot of crews seem to be single pilot - so you are tired, probably on what is now termed 'a low arousal' state and just glad to be back, and your reactions will not necessarily be at their best. You are also semi flying on instruments - really necessary on a dark night with only limited visual clues. You would probably aim to cross the runway centre line about 1-2 miles upwind and aim for a 'gate' approx abeam the runway about a mile out (visually assessed) at 1000ft QFE and about 140 kts, with take off flap selected as you roll out downwind. At this point any flap problems would be quite evident but hopefully dealt with easily. Downwind checks completed with appropriate engine RRPM selected. At some stage you will select full flap - either just starting the finals turn or when lined up with the runway.

When the runway appears in about your eight o'clock - and here I am assuming a left hand circuit with you in the LHS, start your turn onto finals whilst reducing throttles to control speed. Approaching 90° roll out onto base leg whilst levelling at approx 5-600ft, then as you approach the runway centre line continue the turn onto finals and with full flap and undercarriage down continue the approach using the correct 'sight picture' (go back to my perspective mentioned earlier), gradually reducing speed to the 'threshold/landing' speed as you approach touchdown. Of note, a much more common approach at this time was the constant angle of bank turn to roll out on finals, but this was more a 'fighter' style.

So where can this go wrong? One of the worst places is getting too close into the runway when downwind through either poor positioning to start with or not appreciating a wind blowing you 'into' the circuit. You start your finals turn with about 30° angle of bank, and look over your shoulder for the runway. You find you are tight in or even overshooting the centre line, so you increase your angle of bank, and at the same time start pulling back on the stick to 'get it right'. The next thing is a stall/spin - and no height to recover. Alternatively you could be too wide and continue descending on the finals turn, you could become disorientated (your mind suddenly makes the very few lights you can see to be 'stars' and you try to roll the wings level based on the new 'up', you could have the wrong pressure setting, you could even fall asleep (it has been known!), and finally, as you say, there could have been enemy action at the most inopportune time.

Will you ever 'know' the truth - probably not. Only the Board of Inquiry can make judgements at the time, but with so many losses many of them were just statements of the accident and very little 'inquiry'.

I'm sure there will be many other takes on the scenario; all I have done is use some of the teaching and wise words I got from other pilots I flew with who HAD flown bombers and maritime during WWII (and a couple before!),