PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots: Is Anybody Interested in Being One? (AVWEB)
Old 15th Jan 2012, 14:14
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A mate of mine's son finished his CPL + ATPL subjects and an IR about 3 years ago. He didn't spend anything like the numbers you see thrown around - 80-100k cadetship/instant gratification BS - something more like 40k (pure guess). He did it over 12-18 mths working a part time job and with a LITTLE help from his father...and obviously living at home with few expenses...just heading out to the local flying school and doing what he could afford each week.

He then got a job out in the Solomons on **** money flying as a Twin Otter Co pilot then Islander command then Twotter command over 2 years or so. Worked his arse off - despite initial low pay he had enough to have a whale of a time, get pissed once a week etc. Loved every minute of it and proved himself to be a very capable pilot.

With somewhere between 2000-2500 hrs, and with a little help from contacts within VB he got an interview.

6 months or so ago he checked to line in the RHS of a VB 737 at 23 years of age. Several months before that when he was initially offered the job with VB his father and I had to talk him into it a little - he was having too much fun in the Islands - now he's having too much fun in Melbourne on a very acceptable wage.

My point?

It is utterly fallacious to damn the job of pilot as not worth the effort and expense involved based on those who pick the most expensive way possible in a effort to avoid getting their hands dirty....or on the whining of those who didn't have what it takes to succeed.