PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire crash landing in Scotland WW11
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2012, 13:34
El Grifo

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I have no idea of the year in which this occured. At the time of the visit to my studio, I called the local press to see If they had any information. The newspaper has changed hands so many times over the years that records are very sketchy. I plan a visit to Scotland this year so I will have a serious go with them then.

As for the police, Selkirk was then and largely still is a one horse town.There may have been a Bobby on a bicycle

The gentleman simply told me he crash landed/ force landed the Spitfire on the top of a flat hill not far from the town, was un-injured and made his way to RAF Turnhouse to report in .

He stopped for a beer in Selkirk and then took the train to Edinburgh.

As I have said before, an old farmer near the site had vague memories of an event but could not give many details. Had I done some serious investigating at the time, I am sure I could have come up with answers. That is something I regret.

It was really only later that the story re-surfaced in my mind and I now live overseas. I do plan to do some real checking when I visit this year.

If anyone else can come up with any other leads I would be grateful.

It appears the subject is being discussed already with some flippancy on the site you suggested XV277. I think I will stick with Pprune !

Thanks
El G.