PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?
Old 15th Jan 2012, 13:34
SimonBrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this in the right section...and of interest...

For those who don't know me, I'm an underwater photographer with an interest in all things submerged. Some of you may recognise the name from the recent story in Flypast about the Junkers Ju52 in Norway...or maybe not.

Recently I dived at the National Diving and Activity Centre near Chepstow. Sunk as diving attractions are couple of Westland Wessex, one of which is XT607. The conditions in the quarry that day were nothing short of stunning and one of the images I took of XT607 that day can be seen here:-

Westland Wessex XT607

This image is lit with three underwater flashguns, one on the camera and two remote, one being inside the fuselage and the other held by the diver.

Diving in the UK is not always this good...its rare...

The reason for posting is that I'm looking for former crew who would be willing to be interviewed about their experiences with XT607, or to see if anyone out there has any topside images of the helicopter in her heyday, either static or (better) in flight. By way of exchange, I would like to offer former crew a print of XT607 as she is today in return.

Often divers will visit an inland site like NDAC and swim around the attractions, blissfully unaware of their history. I hope that knowing just what XT607 got up to during her career will give a little education and insight into just what these pieces of military hardware did.

Either a PM here on the forum or email simon (at) simonbrownimages.com (replacing (at) with the @ symbol) will be fine.