PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student cant pass his exams
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2012, 12:26
Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Student cant pass his exams

I have a student who is probably is the best handling pilot I have seen, he could quite easily fly himself around now, as he has the skill.

His problem is the exams, Ive managed to get him through 4 so far, but Nav is proving difficult. I have been to his house for ground school on several occasions. But he never puts in the pre work. He may have I feel dyslexia , I have the same issues so have had to work very hard all the way to get to the ATPL exams standards.

Without significant help he will never pass this exam. He has been flying within a group who are not very organised, and he has picked up a bad attitude to learning I think. IE expecting to do little work and get through the rating.

I feel it a shame, because he can fly.

He needs to put considerable time into this, and is not doing so, the other exams start expiring in April.

I offered to spent time with him over Xmas, he never called, he now wants to start again.

How would you handle this situation ? I know patience and perseverance are a key skill for instructors, but I have expressed so many times to him how important it is to put the work in to complete the license. Some people have to work very hard at it.

Is it now time to say 'if you dont put considerable time in to study no license', and all money spent to date will be wasted, or maybe another approach ?

Last edited by Aware; 15th Jan 2012 at 17:06.