PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's May 1941, it's night, you have to land, but how?
Old 15th Jan 2012, 10:53
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
James,

I go back to my original question - was there a trail of wreckage or a smoking hole/compact impact scene? That in itself will give you a much better idea of the nature of the crash and perhaps the dynamics of the accident will discount some of the scenarios.

Of interest I have operated into airfields only illuminated by goosenecks both in training and on Shacks, and in itself there is very little real difference on finals with that of 'normal' lighting in that you still use perspective to 'line up' and control the approach angle. You just don't want to run off the edge and into them!

Also of note (I've only just remembered this whilst writing the above!) Oakington had a marked dip at the south western end of the main runway which could lead to a marked 'false leveling' at night - a normal approach angle would look quite steep and perhaps force an early descent. I can't remember landing at night on 05 so can't say definitely. To see what I mean try holding a ruler in front of you so you are looking along its length, and then tilting it from the level - you will immediately see the change of perspective; now imagine just a few lights to give you that perspective and NOTHING else around to help. You will get my drift hopefully.

edited to change spelling!