PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What decides if additional GA thrust required
Old 15th Jan 2012, 09:32
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi rudderrat,

I am aware of using the ViS/gradient linked to the DA.i operated into Innsbruck and zurich.
My issue is that you are going to an airport where the lower DA with lower vis rvr 550 has a published Missed approach climb gradient of 4%.
Now you calculate your perf (737 flaps 15 one engine toga)65 t LDW and get a 3% gradient.
You obviously cant use your lower DA and cant sart the approach if the actual RVR is 550,,, below the rvr for the higher DA.
Now my perf people tell me the one engine toga aint a regulation that the climb gradient is for all engine so i could use the lower DA.
This i dont accept..unless i get a balked landing procedure to clear the obstacles laterally if possible.

mutt,
[quoteWe also dispatch aircraft based on their ability to achieve the missed approach climb gradient that we have chosen, not 2.5%. This does lead to payload issues, however its must cheaper than hitting the terrain.][/quote]
And yet my airline keeps on sending the lower rating (24k) 738 to that destination if if i recommended them to use 26k initially while this issue is dealt with....

All crews in my airline do bust these minima..now tell me the FAA failed to put the point across to ALL the major airlines where these guys come from including the one for which we working for now?
The only ones aware of such are some JAA colleagues of mine..
Its an eye opener...