PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA licence in UK
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2012, 08:43
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  • They wish to receive flight training from an FAA-certificated facility, provider, or instructor that could lead to an FAA rating whether in the U.S. or abroad.
That is nonsense, if you think about it.

Whether you need TSA approval for flight training outside the USA is hugely open to debate.

Let's say you do a 300nm flight, solo, with 3 separate landings, in a G-reg aeroplane rented from a UK school, around the UK.

5 years later you can use that towards an FAA CPL.
Or towards a Mongolian ICAO CPL, no doubt.
Probably towards a JAA CPL too, if it wasn't for the FTO-only restrictive practices.

Do you need TSA approval for that flight?

Let's say you do a 300nm flight, with a UK IRI in the RHS, under the hood, with 3 approaches or whatever, in a G-reg aeroplane rented from a UK school, from say Prague to say Bournemouth.

5 years later you can use that towards an FAA IR.
Or towards a Mongolian ICAO IR, no doubt.
Probably towards a JAA IR too, if it wasn't for the FTO-only restrictive practices.

Do you need TSA approval for that flight?

I know of people who say YES

You get my drift?

The FAA is generous (actually they are just ICAO compliant but over here we are used to blatent European restrictive practices so we think this is generous) in accepting non-US training, and it is obvious that this doesn't need TSA approval, unless it is done under the most extremely "unfavourable" circumstances. I can't imagine what those might be, but perhaps if the FAA set up a school in the UK for FAA certificates, staffed with FAA instructors, then TSA would be "obviously" needed.

When you do a flight, you log the time, and if you were PU/T then you log it accordingly. In a UK-style logbook you put the instructor's name as PIC. Smart people get the instructor to sign every line with his sig and his CAA or FAA number. You don't put in there "this flight was towards an FAA IR"; that would be just nonsense. You might call it a "X/C flight" and log the approaches in there. All that is just normal practice which validates the logbook entries (which could just be parker pen jobs.... hey this never happens does it ) and if you are doing regular training it protects you against the possibility of your training record getting lost or being disputed. Even in a UK FTO I would get every line thus signed.

At some point the individual has to do some time with an FAA Authorized Instructor and so would need TSA approval prior to that point.
Only if those 3 hours are classed as "training".

Which if you have JAR won't be an issue.
That is completely wrong, MJ. You need a license issued by the owner of the airspace. JAA is just a mutual validation system. I have the references somewhere in here. The FAA chief counsel has ruled on this at least twice.
not that its going to stop dodgy operators.
Well, anybody can fly a plane without any pilot license. They just need to know how to fly, and the general protocol on the radio etc. Not sure what you are trying to say there.