PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a degree in engineering make any difference to my career?
Old 14th Jan 2012, 17:02
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Coldwing
Hi guys can I ask you too if a bachelor degree (3 years) in physics may help in jobs such test pilot or similar ... thank you.
Help, but it's only a small part of the general skillset you need.

If I were looking actively to become a TP on top of your BSc in physics, I'd be looking for something like an MSc in flight dynamics or Flight Test Engineering and a PPL (better a CPL), then start looking for jobs as a Flight Test Engineer. From there, give it 5-8 years of good achievement, CPL and appropriate type ratings and 500++ (ideally 1000+) hours, and you might start to have a chance of sliding into the left hand seat as a TP, starting with more minor tasks then climbing the ladder towards first flights and high risk trials over subsequent years.

Alternately, if you are young enough, a degree in physics plus consistent above average ratings and two command tours covering at-least two types as a military pilot, and you have a chance (small, but a chance) of being selected for your nation's Test Pilot School of choice. Bear in mind however that apart from probably the USA, India, China and Russia, no countries put more than 4 students a year through TPS, and most less than one per year.

"Heavy Metal" TPs are all ex military, so far as I know, possibly there are one or two at Boeing who aren't. Companies like Cessna, Piper, Bombardier however have a reasonable number of ex-FTE TPs.

G