PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question regarding GS interception when approach mode armed
Old 14th Jan 2012, 14:13
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the glide

This post highlights a problem which has not been published clearly accross the types. Each conversion I did concentrated on the type concerned and not on the ways in which it was different to the previous type flown of others within the same range.

This problem helped to cause the Kegworth crash when we might have thought smoke in the flight deck after an engine failure suggested a particular engine at fault when the 737 400 system was slightly different to the 300 negating this idea

Advice on this thread has related to the airbus of which I am highly ignorant. I flew the sim for a few minutes on several occasions for the experience but not enough to gain any expertise

On the 737 300/400/500 if approach was selected on catching the glide path the aircraft would descend with it irespective of localiser situation. Something to do with curved approaches used in other countries

Once selected some very fast switching was needed to get out of approach, it could be done but usually wasn't

So beware of thinking the rules for one aircraft type relate to others, the logic may be the same but the engineering solution may be different

I remember my instructor, Dick Felix, wacking the back of my bone dome with something solid at Oakington when I descended on the glideslope without first sufficiently collecting the localiser. Good training, I never did it again