PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall stick position
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2002, 09:14
chicken6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Here's one from the archives! It looked interesting when I saw the "useful links page" so I replied to it. Didn't realise how old it was.

I have been using the 'stick position' idea for the last couple of days to teach budding new instructors how far to check forward in a spin recovery. There are a few who are much more scared of spinning than the others, so in order to keep their mind at ease I demonstrate that if we do a max rate turn or slow flight, there is a postion on the control column at which the stall warning will come on, and if you pull a wee bit further the a/c will stall.

"That position is as far as you need to check forward to unstall" I tell them, and then they know what to do, and feel confident enough to have a go.

I thought up until now that it was the gospel - I got it from the late Tom Middleton and he was clever so it was right, until I've started reading this thread and now I'm not sure again.

But I won't be putting any doubt in their head until they pass! As long as they don't dig themselves into having to explain it in the briefing room or in the a/c, they can do it if they like. Expediency.

Sidebar - Genghis, what do you mean by 'reversible controls'?