PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes a Flying School a good school?
Old 13th Jan 2012, 11:58
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No club is required for an RTF to operate, that was done away with quite some years ago (5+) but club committees continue to cling on to it so that they can exert some amount of influence on the RTF. I know this because it's no longer on the application form to become an RTF, you just need permission from the owner of the airfield.

Career instructors are as common as rocking horse dung. Customers will not pay extra to have a full brief/debrief from an instructor of any kind, they will only pay for flying time or well written groundschool. New career instructors i.e. ones that have only ever been are normally unable to get a job flying in an airline/bizjet and that's the only reason they're still there anyone else is teaching ME/IR/FIC and therefor will not be available to PPL students except for exams.

It's more than a little insulting to say that you don't care about your students if you're on your way to an airline job. I've met plenty of sub standard career guys. All you need is someone who takes a personal interest in you.

Not enough customers will pay for immaculate aircraft, I often hear people whinging about the state of a plane as if they had any concept of how much they cost to run and how tight the margins are. If you want amazing aircraft, you need to pay £250/hr so that the school makes their 5% and the plane stays equipped and clean. Noone, not a single person thinks that price is realistic so we have to keep flying tommies and 152s.

The best flight school, has an owner who is doing it for fun and enjoys it, has instructors who enjoy it, a CFI who understands how to manage customers and staff and aircraft that will do the job well enough and a comfortable lounge/kitchen and provides free tea and coffee. Most importantly a good flight school does *not* go bust.