PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KAF Fraud
Thread: KAF Fraud
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2012, 05:41
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Where lots of nice gucci contracts are awarded to a mate and you then leave the mob to join said mate's company.
In 1992 my boss, a retired Army officer re-branded as a civvy, called me into his office.

He had met his new neighbour in the pub the previous night and it turned out he was UK head of a US company who, hitherto, had never bid for MoD UK work on their products. Ferranti had always done it - in this case, OMEGA kit.

I was instructed to cancel Ferranti's contracts forthwith and award them to this guy's one-man-and-a-dog setup. No competition. No bidding. Just give them a cost-plus contract and they'd submit the bills.

Of course, this would be fraud but I was gleefully informed only I would be committing an offence, as his instruction to commit it was not one. I thought he was talking balls, and in any case just ignored him (much to the relief of the squadrons and 30MU), but he was proven correct. PUS and successive Mins(AF) have ruled the instruction is not an offence, but both obeying and disobeying the order is. (Bizarre, but absolutely true). Interesting that he learned such a legal nicety in the Army! Although he was also a part-time Magistrate.