PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breaking Point
Thread: Breaking Point
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2012, 14:21
jonathon68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to get a bigger picture view - that's all.
OK, Arfur Dent. Open your eyes and get a bigger picture.

Shortage of pilots is obvious, with some categories far worse off than others. I deal with my workload, complain to my boss, fill out the F-ASR and email my Union. I don't waste too much time complaining on pprune, unless I have time to spare in an outport.

But the big picture, which many of us pilots seem to be totally unaware of is that many other categories of employees are also being stretched to what we feel is the limit. Resources such as spare parts are also running short etc.

If you talk to your colleagues beyond the flight deck, you will discover that they have the same issues. Counter staff at the airport, cabin crew, engineers, mechanics, crew control and even managers etc. If you cruise past the 3rd floor these days you will observe a ghost town. They are all busy trying to plug the gaps.

This is not isolated to airlines such as CX. Other airlines in the "hood" have similar issues. It also sounds as if ATC are also similarly "challenged".

The current spin is that we are deliberately undermanned for the downturn. What f#cking downturn? I think that the chinless, fence-sitting, penny-pinching, paper shuffling, shiny-pole climbers have just totally failed to prepare for the expansion. Again.

My key issue in life is not fatigue. It is my anger with Management incompetence at putting all of us in this situation again.