PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odiham Security Scare
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2012, 08:25
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice castlew.
What are you obvious reasons (they may not be as obvious as you think)?

Keeping breaches and foul ups under wraps only allows them to continue. In a former life I spent many occasions meandering around RAF stations, power stations and other secret places just seeing how poor their security was!
As an example I once drove a civvy contractors van onto an RAF site that had a very deep bunker in it. Parked up near a 'double ringed' barbed wire fence that was 'guarded' (using that word mockingly) by armed (as in carrying) snowdrops and dogs.
To gain entry to the bunker I had to use massive cunning........Oh wait, no I didn't, I simply showed one of the snowdrops my members card for my local video rental store and in I went. I then carried a medium sized cardboard box around several floors pretending to want to deliver it (what a bomb in a box I hear you say!).

I also took some very close up, 'as in touching them' shots of sneaky Nimrods, and was not challenged.........Maybe the unmanned sangers all over the airfield made that easier, as did the lack of an effective plane guard!

All these trips were reported and registered, yet only yesterday untrained (and perhaps definitely not) civilians were mentioned on a PPRuNe thread showing their access to the outside/inside of an MR nimrod on an RAF station!

I'm not convinced that keeping quiet (and not learning lessons) is always the best way.
It is very naive IMHO to think that to keep quit about an incursion is going to plug gaps, and be any kind of deterrent to someone who WILL spend the time looking and WILL see the VERY obvious gaps in security for themselves.

Just my two penneth