PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2012, 07:15
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FH1100: This issue cropped-up previously and I think it was determined that the ground handling wheels were bolted onto the undercarriage (at least I hope this was the case as from what I remember 206 GHW's would dislodge themselves as the drop of a hat when not under tension). There were some practical considerations to having them outside the most obvious being space saving when flying with a load and where ground handling was required at the destination. I remember Battersea Heliport used to have various sets of ground handling wheels available for many years and would 'shuffle' e thaircraft about if required.

Ferranti's 206 fleet were not permitted to fly with GHW's installed as this was considered 'ungainly'. Similarly, Ferranti 206's were not permitted to fly without skid fairings and .. my godfather's pet hate .. missing collar cuffs (the piece connecting the skid fairing to the underside of the fuselage)!

Perhaps these will be of greater interest:

A '78 model 206L over New York City

The craft above may well have been one of those you worked with during your time at Island Helicopters?

Motorola's 206L N16939 delivering their 'Offshore Service' in the Gulf of Mexico in 1978

N16939: Bow shot

And if you thought that LongRangers only ever wear 'skinny' legs then check out the Venezuelan version fitted with highs and skid fairings!

Bell 206LI-II YV-2214P in Zuloaga, Venezuela on 19th March 2005