PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2012, 03:30
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah TRC, you don't miss a trick! To be honest I hadn't noticed this photographic faux pas (which I hope will not offend the sensitivities of our delicate Rotorheads members) but .. in Sweden, one presumes, anything goes!

The driver was doubtless confronted with that well-known Hamletian dilemma .. how did William put it again, oh yes .. "To pee, or not to pee, that is the question" and clearly decided on the former!

And seeing as a member of the 'Old Mann's Club' raised this matter ..

Of ex-Alan Manners .. LongRangers .. and 'being'!

I think it was your former colleague who way back on page two of this weave, wrote:

A certain man from Cornwall (and sometimes Italy) wrote: My impromtu visits to terra-firma with trusty steed extended to one embarassing moment whilst returning a LongRanger to UK from the Winter Olympics in Sarajevo in '84. I was breaking my neck for a pee and my dear colleague Cliff, the trusty engineer, helped me out when we plopped down in a snow covered meadow in Switzerland. I hopped out whilst Cliff held the controls and quickly took care of business. As we lifted I took stock of our 'footprint' - two skid-marks, two boot-marks and 'another indentation' in the snow.
Reflecting on relatively recent posts, this must have been with Castle Air's LongRanger G-LRII.

Mick (A30yoyo): Brilliant shots, bravo! This may well be one of the first images of AYCM we have on the thread - she is certainly a craft I have been looking for, much appreciated.

At the time you took this shot she was entrusted to 'Overhill Estates' of Bolney, Sussex and perhaps uplifting a prospective client from Harry Heathers! I am always fascinated by early images of Heathrow .. wonderful!

After Overhill, AYCM moves on to Fras-Air of Glasgow in 1973 .. (enter Wiggy) and is one of numerous aircraft which at some point was owned by WR Finance of Leeds who, one presumes, were an aviation finance house?

Each time I see your username it reminds me of the cellist Yo-Yo Ma, lol, abd if you think I'm bad with helicopter nostalgia then don't get me started on classical music .. my real passion!

(Oh, by the way; please could you adjust your G-AVII post as the combination of text and images have pushed the post sideways and has thrown this page out of alignment. Many thanks).

Palma wrote: Mike Hughes' first Hughes 500.
Palma, Felice Anno Nuovo!

Great to see you on Nostalgia and thanks for this clarification. (Palma refers to the 500C depicted on the previous page).

I am guessing that she looked something like this when you delivered her:

Hughes 500C G-BDFP at the Cranfield Show on 6th September 1975

It was at Cranfield that I first met you ('79 I think) when I was in tow with the Colonel. You were flying a 'stripey' high skid 'D' model (G-GOGO perhaps) and had Mike Smith with you. When you departed 'Cranners' on the day I met you, you had a wee lass (she could only have been 7 or 8) wedged between you and Mike in the 500's centre jump seat!

After seeing you depart I walked in the company of Cy Rose who proceeded to show me his newly acquired Enstrom F28 and offered to take me for a 'spin' but the Colonel would have none of it insisting that there were 'pressing' engagements to attend and which turned-out to be a boozy appointment with a then little-known chap called Colin Heathcote!

Enjoyable days indeed.