PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurofighter Crash Spain
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2002, 11:08
Jackonicko

Received 61 Likes on 12 Posts
Mousse,

I thought that you were intelligent enough to spot a straight report of what happened (and knowing your bosses I dare say you've already written one!). It's patently simply a news story repeated here for info, and I believe emanates from the CASA portion of EF GmbH. As journos aren't we supposed to have enquiring minds? However I should have made clear that "it has been said that:..... "

Beyond saying that the engines flamed out (and at what height) there's no attribution of cause nor of why the crew bailed. My immediate assumption was that abandonment was a 'bold face' action in the event of the failure experienced - but I'd rather know (or have an educated guess) than assume. I don't blame lack of a RAT, and certainly don't attribute such a lack as a 'design fault' but the accident has stimulated my curiosity and I do wonder engine failure in any aircraft type should, by necessity, require that aircraft to be abandoned. Pilots' opinion on this is obviously of great interest especially since my own flying experience is largely confined to aircraft which glide rather well (or, indeed, which do nothing else!) and in which practised forced landings without power are regularly simulated!

Bus 14 alone made my question worthwhile with his concise yet cogent response - I hadn't remembered the contribution to failures made by the RAT, and I'd even overlooked landing roll. BEagle's thought that windmilling engines might provide sufficient hydraulic power to glide to a bailout area (but not to land) also made me think. (A big question has to be how much electrical generation and hydraulic power remains in the event of a double flameout?) Coolhand's post was also fascinating, from Spain, he obviously knows anough to know that "the Emergency Checklist of the DA6" dictates that in the event of a "Double engine flameout 1.- If "Hyd Tot" lit or critical operation occurs" the crew should eject.

Someone with that degree of knowledge of DA6 also opines that DA6 had no RAT, and that it would have been impossible to "reach any suitable airport from their possition when the flameout happened."

Another question which may be tormenting those of us who don't routinely sit upon one of Martin-Baker's comfy chairs may be the recommended minimum altitude for ejection. While I appreciate that an engineless EF might be coming down rather rapidly, if the aircraft had not departed, and if control authority were still available (Would it have been? And for how long?) when would the sensible 'last chance' be, and what are the factors governing this with a nominally 'zero-zero' seat (I know that rate of descent is critical)?

The point of all this is that while I don't feel ready to write about the crash yet, I do at least feel that I'm thinking about it more sensibly as time goes on, and as I read more expert opinion about it, and that I am formulating the right questions to ask when I do finally speak to the lads in Munich. Moreover, unlike some, I do admit to being a journo, and have not already rushed into print on the story.

I didn't speculate on the effect on the programme, since I'm clearly less brave than some journos. Perhaps I should have categorically stated that: "The four-nation programme to develop and field the Eurofighter strike aircraft suffered a significant setback" (DA6's flying programme was, I understand virtually over, and there's now plenty of scope for its responsibilities to be taken over by an IPA) or should have speculated that "a fleet-wide grounding order is likely" (I'm told that this is most unlikely) or even that "a grounding order could well threaten its chances of delivering the programme’s first production aircraft before year-end" (you think there was ever much chance of that?)

As for experience, I have never made any secret of the modest level of my own flying exp. and qualifications (UAS/PPL), and do not go around accusing others of being spotters. By doing so himself Smartman looks arrogant enough to be a Bluntie.

Finally, I know who I'll be dangling off a balcony next time I turn North off the M25 instead of south to Gatwick....

Smartie,

Thanks for that, 'Guilty as charged' (I do go off on one with alarming ease) and you were much more polite and reasoned than you were with "Quite right - spotters belt up until more expert facts are to hand".