PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAS Wrong Proffession
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2002, 10:31
Usman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAS Wrong Proffession

Sometimes I just wonder why at one time a geologist heads the Flight Operation. That geologist could even soon be the next CEO in MAS. His only useful comment that I can remember is 'to built bridges' and nothing else related to aviation. There is no big contribution that I know of that he had made to turn the airline around. He did not correct even the 'short fuel on long haul' when he came into office in 1997.

I'm not trying to bash him in this forum, but to highlight an issue, which is peculiar in Malaysia. People of the wrong profession had been taking up important appointment in the airline and other organisations. They say it is all right, all you need is some common sense to do the job, the qualification is not important. I do not believe this after seeing our own Bank Negara losing something like RM12billions in the British currency investment and the Perwaja loss of another RM7billions which had no answers till today. Not forgetting MAS loss of RM20billions, which had to be paid by future taxpayers. There is no scandal that I know of during the tenure of our first Finance Minister Tan Siew Sin who is qualified in accountancy.

If people are in their correct profession like our Dr Geologist he could have averted the recent landslide in Ampang or even the Highland Tower tragedy if he was in the right sphere of duty. Maybe the Geology Dept. is being run by accountants.

Thank god they had not come up with an idea yet to replace the pilot with say a chemist.