PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to fly a Herc!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 22:21
nice castle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think different doesn't always mean wrong, and having worked (and flown) with guys from various nations, I enjoy seeing what they find 'important' in the cockpit, as it is almost always something different to us.

I sense Beags doesn't like extraneous intercom chatter and likes sticking to the SOP. Sounds good to me.

The Yanks like to keep eachother informed, and try to enhance the available cueing from instruments with verbal patter - the display seems very 'gated' in terms of speeds and heights, and they have their (perfectly valid) reasons for doing that. Was it a little cheesy, ("SET IT!") yes, perhaps, but that active co-pilot, who knew his role and valued his own role in enhancing flight safety by looking outside to talk the frame round was passionate, proud and keen to carry out his duties to the best of his ability.
When teaching, I always thought the only thing I couldn't teach someone was how to adopt a good attitude. I could try to encourage, motivate and dare I say, inspire as best I can, but if I'm dealing with an idol little tool with a bad attitude, I'm on a losing wicket trying to teach them anything. How lucky I am that this happened exceptionally rarely.

Overall, 2 well polished displays flown by professionals, imho. But OMG, the roll axis in the Herc needs some encouragement, doesn't it?!