PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 617, Blue Steel and Cuban Missile Crisis
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2012, 17:49
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ron, on flying hours you got over 300 hours per year. You were ahead of the game!

The SD98 rate was 300 hours per crew per year. Sqn Cdrs had the ability to vary this within crews and you may recall the training stats for more experienced crews, Select and Select Star, were tighter but also fewer.

For instance a Combat crew may have required 10 eq 2 attacks with a 50% cep of 600 yards whereas a Select Star crew may have required a 50% cep of 400 yards from 6 attacks. Accordingly the hours allocated to a Combat crew were around 320 hours per year and only 280 for a Select Star crew.

As a Combat Star crew I got 135 hours in 6 months. In the next half year as a Select crew I got 130 hours. In the following year as Select Star I got only 120 hours. In the next 6 months we dropped to 93 hours and won the Sqn efficiency trophy. The criteria for winning seemed to be to fly the least hours, most overseas trips (we only got a weekend in Gardermoen that half year), and fail to complete your stats.

In contrast on my tour on Sunshine Airways we averaged 12 hours per month but it were rough - Gan, Singapore, New Zealand, Kenya, Iran, Turkey, Masirah - but someone had to do it.